The Integration and Implementation Insights blog
Integration and Implementation Insights (also known as I2Insights) is a community weblog for researchers who are interested in better concepts and methods for understanding and acting on complex real-world problems – problems like refugee crises, global climate change, and inequality.
The blog is run by the Integration and Implementation Sciences team at The Australian National University. The team leader is Professor Gabriele Bammer. The blog is supported by a number of productive partnerships.
We welcome contributions about, and seek to provide an active forum for, discussing ways of dealing with:
- synthesis of knowledge from different disciplines and stakeholders
- the messiness of how components of a complex problem interact, how context can be all-important and how power can stymie or facilitate action.
- the fact that complex problems do not have perfect solutions; instead that “best possible” or “least worst” solutions are more realistic aims.
- unknowns in order to head-off, or better manage, unintended adverse consequences and unpleasant surprises
- how research can best support policy and practice change
- how to educate the next generation to better deal with complex problems
- how to make effective ways of dealing with complex problems a more central part of the academic mainstream in both research and education.
Our target audience is researchers who:
- are keen to look across the boundaries of their own expertise to exchange concepts and methods with those coming from other academic backgrounds and grappling with other problems
- want to join forces to build a community which freely shares concepts and methods for dealing with complex problems, so that these become a stronger part of the mainstream of academic research and education.
The blog celebrated its first anniversary in November 2016 and its 100th blog post in December 2016. We publish a range of statistics about the blog every three months.
The blog is a community building project for Integration and Implementation Sciences (I2S). This is a new discipline that aims to improve research impact on complex real world problems by enhancing:
- Synthesis of disciplinary and stakeholder knowledge,
- Understanding and management of diverse unknowns, and
- Provision of integrated research support for policy and practice change.
There are currently two types of blog posts:
- Community member post: Blog post written by a researcher actively involved in advancing one or more aspects of research integration and implementation. A list of authors is available.
- Synthesis blog post: Blog post that draws together insights and lessons from previously published blog posts. There is currently one synthesis blog post.
Maintenance of external (URL) web-links on this website
All external web-links are functional when a blog post is published, but we do not have the resources to check functionality over time. You may therefore discover that a web-link no longer works – if that is the case, please let us know.