By Gabriele Bammer
The aim of this site is to host a global conversation about… well one of the challenges is that we don’t yet have an agreed name for our topic.
This is a conversation for you if your research does some of the following:
- Gets people from different disciplines working together
- Builds models of complex social and environmental problems
- Helps policy makers use research evidence
- Figures out ways to manage value conflicts
- Finds ways to identify unknown unknowns
- Maps interconnections between problem elements
- Works with business to build better products
- Involves community groups in defining the problem
- Worries about adverse unintended consequences
- Realises that context matters.
I think about these practices as integration and implementation sciences. You might call them systems thinking, action research, interdisciplinarity or transdisciplinarity, implementation science, post-normal science, mode 2 research, project management, complex systems science or a host of other terms.